2 cups flour
2 tsp baking baking powder
1 tsp lemon zest (fresh)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 tsp orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
In a mixer bowl with pedal attachment cream butter and sugar.
Add egg & mix well.
Add orange juice, and vanilla
Add “dry ingredients”, and mix until dough forms.
Create 2 disks from dough and chill well/freeze.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (position rack in the middle).
Sprinkle flour on a clean countertop.
Using a rolling pin (with 1/8″ spacer bands) roll out dough to 1/8″
Using a round (4″) cutter cut circles.
Place 1 tsp of filling in the center of each circle.
Using the “fold method”: With your finger use water to wet the circle edges, then fold the circle into a triangle.
Using the “pinch method”: pinch the circle into a triangle cookie. pinch tight, especially if filling with jam/preserve which tend to overflow.
Bake for 17 minutes until golden brown. When they come out of oven they should be hard. If they are soft they will break.
- This recipe was used to bake Hamantaschens for our synagogue Mishloach Manot in 2021.
- The girls likes that it came out really hard.
- The adults thought it was a bit too sweet.
- filling options: a good fruit preserve, chocolate chips, Solo (brand) poppy seeds filling
- There is no need to chill the dough after forming the cookies.